It's herbs, Herb

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

It's herbs, Herb

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:38 pm

no matter how you pronounce it they really add to your foods
herb (ûrb, hûrb)
n.
1. A plant whose stem does not produce woody, persistent tissue and generally dies back at the end of each growing season.
2. Any of various often aromatic plants used especially in medicine or as seasoning.

[Middle English herbe, from Old French erbe, from Latin herba.]

herby adj.
Usage Note: The word herb, which can be pronounced with or without the (h), is one of a number of words borrowed into English from French. The (h) sound had been lost in Latin and was not pronounced in French or the other Romance languages, which are descended from Latin, although it was retained in the spelling of some words. In both Old and Middle English, however, h was generally pronounced, as in the native English words happy and hot. Through the influence of spelling, then, the h came to be pronounced in most words borrowed from French, such as haste and hostel. In a few other words borrowed from French the h has remained silent, as in honor, honest, hour, and heir. And in another small group of French loan words, including herb, humble, human, and humor, the h may or may not be pronounced depending on the dialect of English. In British English, herb and its derivatives, such as herbaceous, herbal, herbicide, and herbivore, are pronounced with h. In American English, herb and herbal are more often pronounced without the h, while the opposite is true of herbaceous, herbicide, and herbivore, which are more often pronounced with the h.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
as I mixed up ingredients to make a pizza dough I thought of adding fresh rosemary and basil to my dough. The aroma as I kneaded reminded me that life consists of so much more than just basics, there are embellishments that truely increase our outlook and moods.
Actually Rosemary does not fit in definition #1 but Basil certainly does.

Kt
I call my pizza: PHD piled higher and deeper pizza, it was yummy.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Not really about tasty dead plants we add to our food, it does get mentioned:

NYT Laughlines

PS: I call my camera a PHD, too. Push here, dummy.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”