Texting Slang Query

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Texting Slang Query

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:31 am

I've been coming across the phrase 'left on read', in crossword clues and answers, and even in a CNN headline recently. I gather that it means a text message has been ignored and not opened for reading. My question is this, is it pronounce 'reed' or 'red'? I'm guessing 'red', as in 'turn right on red,' but am not sure so I'm annoyed. Can anyone clue me in?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Texting Slang Query

Postby bbeeton » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:19 am

Never heard of "left on read" in the context you suggest, but "left on red" is very common in driving directions, so it seems an obvious punning extension.

Edit: Obviously Slava has caught me in a stupid. (I really don't drive that way.) But I do think the pronunciation he's looking for is "red", by analogy.
Last edited by bbeeton on Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:48 pm

Never heard of "left on read" in the context you suggest, but "left on red" is very common in driving directions, so it seems an obvious punning extension.
I'll take a wild guess and say you meant 'right on red' (after pretending to stop) is common here in the US. Which raises the question, do places that drive on the left have 'left on red' rules?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:58 pm

Here's an example, from a crossword puzzle:

Clue: Wasn't replied to, say
Answer: Got left on read

:?:

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:44 pm

According to Dictionary dot com (an apparent rival and perhaps an early associate of this page) Left on Read means
In internet slang, a person is left on read when a recipient has read, but not responded to, a sender’s message. The expression is often used to express feeling ignored.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/left-on-read/

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:00 pm

Thank you for finding this. It also tells us that it's pronounced 'red'. The explanation also tells me that I was getting it wrong, in a way. I got the ignored part, but thought it meant that the message was sitting, waiting to be read, not that it had been read but left bereft of a response.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:46 pm

It just occurred to me that you, Slava, are engaged in a little project to ensure that no post on the Agora is "left on read"

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pm

Interesting observation. It never occurred to me to think of it that way, but now that you mention it, I guess it fits. 850+ to go, though.

Return to “Slang”