Morose

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Morose

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 pm

• morose •

Pronunciation: mê-ros Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Sullen, gloomy, dour, displaying a brooding humor.

Notes: Today's adjective is softer than "dejected" or "miserable"; it is almost a pleasant mood. It comes with an adverb, morosely, and two nouns, a clunker, moroseness, and a more palatable morosity.

In Play: This word generally refers to a mild sadness: "Wally had a pretty good voice and a penchant for morose self-analysis set to a strum-along guitar." Some event usually sets the stage for morosity: "After her boyfriend left her, April Showers became morose for several weeks."

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from French morose "gloomy; moribund, inactive", inherited from Latin morosus "wayward, peevish, capricious". Many etymologists associate this word with mos, moris "habit, fashion; caprice, humor", which would make it a cousin of moral and mood, but of unknown origin. I think it might have originated as mor-/mer- "die, death" + -s, a popular adjective suffix, conceivably meaning -"like", in other words, a PIE word originally meaning "death-like". If so, this PIE word was popular among IE families, e.g. Sanskrit marati "dies", Greek moros "fate" and mortos "person, mortal", Latin mors, mortis "death", Lithuanian mirti "to die", Latvian mirt "to die", Russian smert' "death", as in Smersh, from smert' shpionam "death to spies", Welsh marw "to die, dead", Breton marvel "mortal", from archaic marv "death". We see the Latin root in many English borrowings, like mortuary, mortal, and mortify. (Lest we make Eileen Opiolka morose, let's all thank her for bringing today's curious Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Morose

Postby David Myer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:33 am

Certainly the Good Doctor's surmise about the connection to mort and death, seems to me much more plausible than any possible connection to habit. In fact I suggest that it would take a fair bit of imaginative stretch to get from habit to morose. I suppose 'habit' > 'routine' > 'boredom' > 'morose'. A very long bow - unless there is some supporting evidence?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”