Orthogonal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Orthogonal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:32 pm

• orthogonal •

Pronunciation: or-thah-gê-nêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. At right angles, perpendicular (to). 2. Totally irrelevant, not at all germane to some point under discussion. 3. Statistically unrelated or independent.

Notes: Today's word comes from Greek via Latin and hence has all the derivational accoutrements of classical words. The noun is orthogonality and you can make a verb, orthogonalize "to place at right angles" out of it. The adverb has the usual suffix: orthogonally.

In Play: Today's word is useful in discussions of both practical and philosophical matters. Practically, we may say, "The trunk of a capital 'T' is orthogonal to its cross bar." To stretch that sense a wee bit, we might comment, "I wouldn't say that she drank too much last night, but Wanda Round left the party somewhat less than orthogonal." On a more philosophical note: "Jack Uzzi raises so many orthogonal issues in staff meetings, it seems he is totally solipsistic."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Greek orthogonios "at right angles" based on orthos "right, correct" + gonia "angle". The original root came into Greek as both gonia and gony "knee", so apparently originally meant "knee" and "angle", two meanings obviously related. The same root came up in Latin genu "knee", which underlies genuflect "bow", based on a combination meaning "knee-bending". In English we have the very predictable knee and kneel from the same PIE root. Orthos "right" (in both senses) appears in many English words, such as orthography "correct spelling" and orthodoxy "correct belief".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Orthogonal

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:59 am

Addle your interlocutors! Instead of saying, "Changing the subject...", go for "On an orthogonal note...".
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Orthogonal

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am

I must admit to being a bit surprised that the teenagers' favorite "ortho-" was not first on the list.

Orthodonture.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”