Insult

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Insult

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 am

Missing Good Word for 3/6/2024:

• insult •

Pronunciation: in-sêlt Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To offend, affront, to treat with scornful indignity, showing great disrespect.

Notes: What is interesting about today's Good Word is that its noun is marked by a simple shift of the accent back one syllable: insult. Many verb-to-noun pairs in English exhibit this peculiarity: survey (survey : a survey), reject (reject : a reject), and rewrite (rewrite : a re-write) among others. The noun from today's word is also used in medicine in the sense of "attack, injury, trauma", as an insult to the leg. The participle serves double duty as the adjective: insulting. Insults in disguise are known as persiflage.

In Play: The most common phrase that employs today's Good Word is "adding insult to injury", which simply means to insult twice over: "Not only did Sue Persillias turn down Matt Tremony's marriage proposal, she added insult to injury by accepting his brother's!" Otherwise, the use of this word is straightforward: "Sue Flay was so insulted to be taken to a restaurant that used paper napkins, that she walked out and took a cab home."

Word History: Today's Good Word was taken directly from Middle French insulter, a derivation from Latin insultare "to assail, assault". This word was early on used by Cicero in sense of "insult, scoff at, revile". It is the frequentative of insilire "to leap at, attack", meaning "to leap at frequently, to keep on attacking". This word was put together from in- "in, on, at" + salire "to leap". The PIE mother word from which salire developed had little impact on languages other than Latin. In Latin we see it in several words borrowed by English. In addition to salient, that's it in sally (forth), assail, assault, result, and the name of the leaping fish, the salmon. (Lest we insult Ellen Adams, let us now offer her a word of thanks for suggesting today's Good Word.)

brogine
Lexiterian

Re: Insult

Postby brogine » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 pm

Many verb-to-noun pairs in English exhibit this peculiarity: survey (survey : a survey), reject (reject : a reject), and rewrite (rewrite : a re-write) among others.
I’ve written about this here, advancing the idea that the latter-syllable stress for verbs is favored because it sounds more dynamic.
Same dichotomy for many adjective-verb pairs.
Also noun-adjective sibs (with the noun in the van position), although I haven’t come up with a crackpot theory on that. Yet.
Generalities, I think, can sometimes be valid.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:37 am

Certainly an interesting hypothesis, Brogine. The verb needs to sound more dynamic. I will have to consider this one over time! No argument that some generalities can be valid - certainly as generalities.

Also interested to read that sally (forth) is from the original root that spawned salire, to leap. I was thinking today about the origin of sally and rather hoped to research this website to discover that it was from a sort of reflexive version of the Fench, Aller, to go - s'aller? I am a little disappointed.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 pm

It was a worthy idea. That’s something of value nearly equal to a correct surmise.

Mais, c’est comme ça.

As Cole Porter had it, ‘La vie, la vie . . . you’d be dead without it!’

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 am

Cole Porter was a clever man. I can't put the music to the words, but the words are fine.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 am

Natch! The line is a spoken interpolation in There Must Be Someone for Me, from Mexican Hayride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZFO8OXriwE

Actually, the line is not in the published lyrics, so we can’t give credit without a bit of reservation.

Our chanteuse is the divina June Havoc, sister of Gypsy Rose Lee.

You’ll appreciate this one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdVG3LUdG4.

All the best.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”