Scholar

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Scholar

Postby skinem » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Scholar

Pronunciation: 'skä-l&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English scoler, from Old English scolere & Anglo-French escoler, from Medieval Latin scholaris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin schola school
1 : a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : PUPIL
2 a : a person who has done advanced study in a special field b : a learned person
3 : a holder of a scholarship

Scholarly--adjective

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Scholar

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Scholar

Pronunciation: 'skä-l&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English scoler, from Old English scolere & Anglo-French escoler, from Medieval Latin scholaris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin schola school
1 : a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : PUPIL
2 a : a person who has done advanced study in a special field b : a learned person
3 : a holder of a scholarship

Scholarly--adjective
Interesting word. I'd say that meaning 1 has pretty much died out, though. Don't we tend to think of a scholar as someone who is dedicating a serious portion of their life to the study of something?

What do you all think?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Well, yes, I think it does now have the connotation of being someone quite learned.

I don't suppose the young ones learn "A diller, a dollar, a ten o'clock scholar ... " anymore. Noon always was a tad too early for me.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”