snoop

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

snoop

Postby skinem » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 am

snoop

Pronunciation: 'snüp
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: Dutch snoepen to buy or eat on the sly; akin to Dutch snappen to snap
: to look or pry especially in a sneaking or meddlesome manner
- snoop·er noun

Interesting (to me) that the meaning of the word morphed from the original Dutch meaning to today's current meaning.
(No, I don't look in other people's medicine cabinets. There are some things I just don't want to know.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 pm

I agree, an interesting expansion. I think I can see how it came about, in a way. If you wish to eat on the sly, you'd better know what is where and how to get to it, so you have to snoop around before you can snoop.

Now I have to ask the BIG question. What does this have to do with the most famous Beagle in American history?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:12 pm

(No, I don't look in other people's medicine cabinets. There are some things I just don't want to know.)

And for that reason alone, I keep nothing in mine that
would in any way interest anyone who found snooping
to be of an addiction.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I agree, an interesting expansion. I think I can see how it came about, in a way. If you wish to eat on the sly, you'd better know what is where and how to get to it, so you have to snoop around before you can snoop.

Now I have to ask the BIG question. What does this have to do with the most famous Beagle in American history?
All Beagles are snoops, as well as being eating machines. There nose leads them into trouble, especially our dog, who looks to be part beagle and part bassett, with some of the worst of both. (No that's not him in the avatar; time to change that, I guess. That one's a Presa Canario pup we fostered for a week.)

Dogs are four-footed, fanged, furry two-year olds with a touch of ADD, ODD, and Autism.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 am

Any dog out walking its master stops about every
14 feet to do some snooping. They could all be
named "Snoopy". I've known quite a few who were.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”