Greenhorn

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Greenhorn

Postby skinem » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:45 pm

green·horn

Pronunciation: -"horn
Function: noun
Etymology: obsolete greenhorn animal with green or young horns
1 : an inexperienced or naive person
2 : a newcomer (as to a country) unacquainted with local manners and customs

For some reason I have run into "green" as part of a word or expression a lot today and it struck me how often it is attached to other words...it was, frankly, a little odd today...

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:15 am

For some reason I have run into "green" as part of a word or expression a lot today and it struck me how often it is attached to other words...it was, frankly, a little odd today...
Perhaps you are in your salad days, green in judgement. (But not cold in blood, I hope...)

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:52 am

Perhaps you are in your salad days, green in judgement. (But not cold in blood, I hope...)
Ha! Nope, no sald days, certainly no greenhorn...it's not my first rodeo! Rather warm blooded and no blue blood!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:40 pm

The Green Party is any of various political parties emphasizing environmental issues, grassroots democracy, pacifism, and social justice.
I'm all for partying, this looks like a nice quiet party I can rest in.

mark my-get-up-and-go-has-went Bailey[/quote]

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Greenhorn (containing the sense of "new, fresh, recent") was first "young horned animal" (1455), then "recently enlisted soldier" (1650), then "any inexperienced person" (1682).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 22, 2010 9:13 pm

It would make for a nice change in crossword puzzles, too. Instead of the overworked tyro, we could have a fresh sprout: greenhorn.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”