deadline

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

deadline

Postby gailr » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:03 pm

deadline
"time limit," 1920, Amer.Eng. newspaper jargon. Perhaps influenced by earlier use (1864) to mean the "do-not-cross" line in Civil War prisons:
"Seventeen feet from the inner stockade was the 'dead-line,' over which no man could pass and live." [Lossing, 1868]
This modern generation is so spoiled; they're not making deadlines like they used to...

gailr

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

"Without deadlines and restrictions I just tend to become preoccupied with other things." - Val Kilmer

"I am one of those people who thrive on deadlines, nothing brings on inspiration more readily than desperation." - Harry Shearer

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 02, 2010 9:48 pm

As gailr is recently resurrected, let's resurrect one of her old suggestions. A nice coincidental tie-in, too.

I like the quotes relating to deadlines. Does anyone out there have others to add to the list?

My experience with deadlines is along the lines of college students and their reaction to them. Something like, "What, isn't the deadline the last day to ask for an extension?"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”