worry

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

worry

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:32 pm

wor·ry (wûr, wr)
v. wor·ried (wûrd, wr-), wor·ry·ing, wor·ries (wûrz, wr-)
v.intr.
1. To feel uneasy or concerned about something; be troubled. See Synonyms at brood.
2. To pull or tear at something with or as if with the teeth.
3. To proceed doggedly in the face of difficulty or hardship; struggle: worried along at the problem.
v.tr.
1. To cause to feel anxious, distressed, or troubled. See Synonyms at trouble.
2. To bother or annoy, as with petty complaints.
a. To seize with the teeth and shake or tug at repeatedly: a dog worrying a bone.
b. To attack roughly and repeatedly; harass.
c. To touch, move, or handle idly; toy with: worrying the loose tooth with his tongue.
n. pl. wor·ries
1. The act of worrying or the condition of being worried; persistent mental uneasiness. See Synonyms at anxiety.
2. A source of nagging concern or uneasiness.
Idiom:
not to worry Informal
There is nothing to worry about; there is no need to be concerned: "But not to worry: it all...falls into place in the book's second half, where the language is plainer" Hallowell Bowser.

[Middle English werien, worien, to strangle, from Old English wyrgan; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.]

worri·er n.
Word History: Worrying may shorten one's life, but not as quickly as it once did. The ancestor of our word, Old English wyrgan, meant "to strangle." Its Middle English descendant, worien, kept this sense and developed the new sense "to grasp by the throat with the teeth and lacerate" or "to kill or injure by biting and shaking." This is the way wolves or dogs might attack sheep, for example. In the 16th century worry began to be used in the sense "to harass, as by rough treatment or attack," or "to assault verbally," and in the 17th century the word took on the sense "to bother, distress, or persecute." It was a small step from this sense to the main modern senses "to cause to feel anxious or distressed" and "to feel troubled or uneasy," first recorded in the 19th century.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
mark what?-me-worry? Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Now I know what my father's little dachshund was doing to all her fluffy toys. I knew the verb, but not necessarily the root meaning. The root may be rather gory, but it sure was fun to watch in the living room.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”