dram

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

dram

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Dram

–noun
1.Measurements:
- a. a unit of apothecaries' weight, equal to 60 grains, or 1/8 ounce (3.89 grams)
- b. 1/16 ounce, avoirdupois weight (27.34 grains; 1.77 grams). Abbreviation: dr., dr
2. fluid dram
3. a small drink of liquor; 4. a small quantity of anything.

–verb (used without object)
5. Archaic. to drink drams; tipple.
–verb (used with object)
6. Archaic. to ply with drink.
(Dictionary.com)

The dram (archaic spelling drachm; apothecary symbol ℨ) was historically both a coin and a weight. Currently it is both a small mass in the Apothecaries' system of weights and a small unit of volume. This unit is called more correctly fluid dram or in contraction also fluidram.
(see also drachma -ed)
The fluid dram is defined as 1⁄8 of a fluid ounce, which means it is exactly equal to
* 3.696 691 195 312 5 mL in the United States and
* 3.551 632 812 500 0 mL in the Commonwealth and Ireland. In the United Kingdom, a teaspoon was formerly defined as 1 fluid dram. Dram is also used informally to mean a small amount of liquid, especially Scotch whisky.

Wiki *a wee flaw in the board here: URLs with parentheses apparently won't embed, so I had to tiny-url it

Previously invoked in another classic Alpha bit o' banter, and archived in the name of a popular Celtic/American reel (actually several now share the name), "Give the Fiddler a Dram"
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 am

That fiddler (Gerry Milnes) deserves more than a dram. Thanks for the link Sluggo!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: dram

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 am

Dram
... Wiki *a wee flaw in the board here: URLs with parentheses apparently won't embed, so I had to tiny-url it
I've run into that before. It's not so much a flaw in the board as a flaw in the board user. :wink: You have to escape the parentheses and other special characters. Try this page from w3schools.com.

Check out the examples below:

Original URL:
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_(unit)

Escaped URL:
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_%28unit%29

When you see a per-cent sign followed by two number in an URL, you're seeing characters that have been escaped.

W3Schools.com is a great site for learning all kinds of Web-related topics.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:42 pm

What, you want me to think? Sorry, not befitting of my name. :wink:

I see I larned something useful thar. Being required to put a code in the code still seems a flaw, but thanks for the user manual -excellent resource there!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:22 am

What, you want me to think? Sorry, not befitting of my name. :wink:
Every time I see your avatar I think of Bender ...
In the series, Bender plays the role of a comic anti-hero, and is described by Turanga Leela as an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler with an in-your-face attitude" and by himself as possessing a "swarthy Latin charm".
Well, at least the in-your-face attitude! :wink: I can't speak to the other descriptions.
I see I larned something useful thar. Being required to put a code in the code still seems a flaw, but thanks for the user manual -excellent resource there!
Yes, a wealth of info there at w3schools.com ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:53 am

...In the series, Bender plays the role of a comic anti-hero, and is described by Turanga Leela as an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler with an in-your-face attitude" and by himself as possessing a "swarthy Latin charm".
Ah, you have me all wrong. I don't smoke.

Well I don't know Bender but can I keep him? I'll adapt the 'swarthy Latin charm' line if it's ok with my real comic-hero role model:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 am

And here all along I thought from your avatar you were a blockhead instead of a pinhead. :lol: You really should pay attention to The O'Reilly Factor! 8)
Zippy de doo dah ...
You'll have to catch Futuramato see Bender in action and why I have the hots for Leela. My Patron Saint is Rube Goldberg, but my idol is Wally from Dilbert.
Ah, you have me all wrong. I don't smoke.
Yeah, I know how that goes. People think I'm Rude, Crude and Lewd, but actually I'm just the opposite: Lewd, Crude and Rude.

"Paging Mr. Griffith!"
Regards//Larry

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bender

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:34 am

When I first saw "Bender" I had a completely different connotation in mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostap_Bender

He's extremely popular, and I actually don't think I've ever seen the other reference.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Alas, I'm unfamiliar with any and all of these Bender characters. I do know it takes more than a dram to go on a bender...

[apologies: on topic]
Image [dram] is useful symbol to know when buying and blending essential oils.
[/on topic]

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”