touchstone

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

touchstone

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 am

touchstone

SYLLABICATION: touch·stone
PRONUNCIATION: tchstn
NOUN: 1. A hard black stone, such as jasper or basalt, formerly used to test the quality of gold or silver by comparing the streak left on the stone by one of these metals with that of a standard alloy. 2. An excellent quality or example that is used to test the excellence or genuineness of others: “the qualities of courage and vision that are the touchstones of leadership” (Henry A. Kissinger). See synonyms at standard.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Still used in many parts of the world to evaluate carats in gold, also called paragon stone.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:29 am

And here I thought a touchstone was a lucky piece people reached into their pockets to touch for special favor[like crossing one's fingers] in times of need. Thanks Cacasenno.

B.
Last edited by Bailey on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 pm

And here I thought a tpouchstone was a lucky piece people reached into their pockets to touch for special favor[like crossing one's fingers] in times of need. Thanks Cacasenno.

B.
:)

I'd missed that.

I don't know how in the States you call a gesture to propitiate luck or, more specifically, to cast away bad luck. In Italy we call it 'scaramantico' and 'scaramantic' in English sounded right to me but I could not find it in the dictionary.

What you are referring to is still quite popular in southern Italy and elsewhere but it would have needed the plural.

Are women consistently unlucky?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:03 pm

I don't touch my stones in public.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:18 pm

yeah Perry, we know, thanks for the explosive laughter.....

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”