gun

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

gun

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am

From gun, via autobahn, to banner

gun

PRONUNCIATION: gn
NOUN: 1. A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory. 2. A cannon with a long barrel and a relatively low angle of fire. 3. A portable firearm, such as a rifle or revolver. 4. A device resembling a firearm or cannon, as in its ability to project something, such as grease, under pressure or at great speed. 5. A discharge of a firearm or cannon as a signal or salute. 6. One, such as a hunter, who carries or uses a gun. 7a. A person skilled in the use of a gun. b. A professional killer: a hired gun. 8. The throttle of an engine, as of an automobile.
VERB: Inflected forms: gunned, gun·ning, guns
TRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To shoot (a person): a bank robber who was gunned down by the police. 2. To open the throttle of (an engine) so as to accelerate: gunned the engine and sped off. 3. Maine To hunt (game).
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To hunt with a gun.
PHRASAL VERB: gun for 1. To pursue relentlessly so as to overcome or destroy. 2. To go after in earnest; set out to obtain: gunning for a promotion.
IDIOMS: go great guns To proceed or perform with great speed, skill, or success. hold a gun to (someone's) head To put pressure on someone. under the gun Under great pressure or under threat.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English gonne, cannon, short for Gunilda, woman's name applied to a siege engine, from Old Norse Gunnhildr, woman's name : gunnr, war; see gwhen- in Appendix I + hildr, war.

Appendix I

Indo-European Roots

ENTRY: gwhen-
DEFINITION: To strike, kill.
Derivatives include bane, fence, and offend.
1. O-grade form *gwhon-. a. bane, from Old English bana, slayer, cause of ruin or destruction; b. autobahn, from Middle High German ban, bane, way, road (< “strike” in a technical sense like “swath”). Both a and b from Germanic suffixed form *ban-n-. 2. Suffixed zero-grade form *gwh-ty-. a. gun, from Old Norse gunnr, war; b. gonfalon, from Italian gonfalone, standard, from Germanic compound *gund-fann-, “battle flag” (*fann-, flag; see pan-). Both a and b from Germanic *gundj, war, battle. 3. Suffixed form *gwhen-do-. a. defend, defense, fence, fend, from Latin dfendere, to ward off (d-, away; see de-); b. offend, offense, from Latin offendere, to strike against, be offensive, offend (ob-, against; see epi). 4. Suffixed zero-grade form *gwh-tro-. bezoar, from Persian zahr, poison, from Old Iranian *jathra-. 5. Full-grade form *gwhen-. bonze, from Sanskrit hanti, he strikes. (Pokorny 2. ghen-()- 491, bhen- 126.)

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

delorina
Junior Lexiterian

Postby delorina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 am

What kind of air pressure staple gun should I buy? I planning to buy a air pressure staple gun for a number of projects. There was one on sale that comes with the air compressor. It shoots 18 gauge staples. I looked at the staples and they look really thin. Can that kind of staple work with solid oak?
Last edited by delorina on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 am

What kind of air pressure staple gun should I buy? I planning to buy a air pressure staple gun for a number of projects. There was one on sale that comes with the air compressor. It shoots 18 gauge staples. I looked at the staples and they look really thin. Can that kind of staple work with solid oak?
Are you really confused about what type of forum this is? :? You just did a search for "staple gun" and this thread popped up, didn't it?

I always liked Makita. The effectiveness of the gauge will depend upon what you are trying to do. (A good staple gun will be able to use more than one gauge of staples, so if you're looking at a gun that uses only one gauge, I'd keep looking. Advice worth what you paid for it.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 pm

Are you really confused about what type of forum this is? :? You just did a search for "staple gun" and this thread popped up, didn't it?
Thanks for doing this, skinem. I was trying to figure out how to do this politely, but wasn't in the mood. Good handling.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:13 pm

... It shoots 18 gauge staples. I looked at the staples and they look really thin. Can that kind of staple work with solid oak?
Will you be stapling something to the oak, like paper or fabric, or will you be using staples to assemble something? The length and gauge (thickness) will depend on whether you are stapling through paper, felt, or wood, and how deep you want the staple to penetrate into to oak.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I love it when someone posts simply for the sake of
advertising.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”