gloss

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

gloss

Postby dsteve54 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:23 am

"gloss".....I am only posing the word as a topic for Dr. Goodwood to discuss in a "Word of the Day", since this is the "Suggestion" section.

I probably won't track additions to this thread, so I won't comment further, but if you wish, have at it.

I am referring to the meaning of "gloss" other than "sheen". For example, "explanation of a word or phrase". Also, note: "glossed over", "glossed upon".

I probably will not discuss it in the forum here but it might be a good one for a Dr. Goodward treatment. glossography, glossary, glossa, glossolalia, etc.

It just might be an interesting line of thought to follow for "Word of the Day".
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 03, 2009 11:03 am

The two glosses are two different words:

gloss1   /glɒs, glɔs/ [glos, glaws]
–noun
1. a superficial luster or shine; glaze: the gloss of satin.
2. a false or deceptively good appearance.
3. Also, glosser. a cosmetic that adds sheen or luster, esp. one for the lips.
–verb (used with object)
4. to put a gloss upon.
5. to give a false or deceptively good appearance to: to gloss over flaws in the woodwork.
Origin: 1530–40; prob. akin to D gloos glowing, MHG glosen to glow, shine, Sw dial. glysa to shine

Synonyms:
1. See polish. 2. front, pretense.

gloss2   /glɒs, glɔs/ [glos, glaws]
noun
1. an explanation or translation, by means of a marginal or interlinear note, of a technical or unusual expression in a manuscript text.
2. a series of verbal interpretations of a text.
3. a glossary.
4. an artfully misleading interpretation.
–verb (used with object)
5. to insert glosses on; annotate.
6. to place (a word) in a gloss.
7. to give a specious interpretation of; explain away (often fol. by over or away): to gloss over a serious problem with a pat solution.
–verb (used without object)
8. to make glosses.
Origin: 1250–1300; (n.) ME glose (< OF glose) < ML glōsa, glōza < Gk glôssa word requiring explanation, lit., language, tongue; (v.) ME glosen < ML glōssāre, deriv. of glōsa; cf. gloze, reflecting OF pron. of verb

Synonyms:
1. comment, annotation. 2. commentary, critique, exegesis, explication. 5. explain, interpret, analyze, explicate.

Judging from the news lately, does anyone think Obama wishes Biden would have a glossectomy?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 pm

... Judging from the news lately, does anyone think Obama wishes Biden would have a glossectomy?
The President might, but I'm sure the Republicans are happy that the Demoncrats have their own Dan Quayle for a change. :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”