Plantigrade

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 am

Yes, better. And when did you switch to a cryptic signature? I can't send THAT to my local Chinese instructor.
I changed it just a couple of hours ago. And yes, as it's not Chinese, it wouldn't help much to show it to your instructor.

One quibble I have with our board here is that the signature and avatar are universal. Change it, and everything in the past changes with it. Sad, actually, as it would be nice to see how they change over time. Oh, well.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:42 pm

And what is the shortest poem in English?

I don't quite get this oowangalema????

Sorry, when I posted, I did not notice it was a
signature. Don't mean to pry.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 pm

... it's not Chinese, it wouldn't help much to show it to your instructor.
But it did help to show our friend's signature to her. It looks as though it may be a poetic quote (I've taken a few, small liberties with the stilted translation I was given):

Do you remember?
The current at the edge of the sea,
Our boat moving swiftly among the waves, almost like flying.
Last edited by beck123 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 pm

One quibble I have with our board here is that the signature and avatar are universal.
It's the same at other sites, too. I doubt if the board here generates its own software for managing the site; it's likely a commercial product that they're only able to personalize with colors, logos, and other window-dressing items.

I agree with you, though: it would be nice to lose the universal-change feature, if that's an option that the software allows. My guess, though, is that the avatar and signature actually reside only in one's profile and not in the individual posts. That's the most parsimonious use of computing power.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

OK, S, I'm going to give it a try. Is it a reference to the African legend where all the animals gather under the Awongalema tree during a drought?
Beck

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm

OK, S, I'm going to give it a try. Is it a reference to the African legend where all the animals gather under the Awongalema tree during a drought?
Good call, Beck. I always thought it was native American Indian, though, as I first heard it on a record of Richard Kiley reading folk tales. I'm probably mis-remembering though, as it was a few years back.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm

OK, because my second guess was going to be, "Obfuscate one word; only nobody gets a laugh (except my avatar.)"

That was going to be a long shot.
Beck

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 am

I remember that, from somewhere, way back.
I too think it would be a great idea of the history of
avatars would change over time, but I suppose it is
something to do with what you mentioned, Beck,and not
understanding much about computers it makes a certain
amount of sense.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”