Manicule

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
saparris
Wordmaster

Manicule

Postby saparris » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Manicule: (noun). from Latin manicula (little hand).

The symbol resembling a hand with a pointing finger, used in typography to draw attention to something in the text.

Here's one:

From http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manicule
Last edited by saparris on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:14 pm

And used at sporting events to say "we are #1", I believe.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm

And used at sporting events to say "we are #1", I believe.
While we do hold up a hand with only the index finger extended, is this a manicule? It has the same form, but doesn't really serve the same purpose, does it? I wonder if there's another name for the hand gesture?

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't think there is a particular name for the raised index finger, unless you call it an "one gesture." Or maybe it's an up-pointing manicule.

Change fingers, and there are all kinds of names.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

I don't think there is a particular name for the raised index finger, unless you call it an "one gesture." Or maybe it's an up-pointing manicule.
Nice idea, but I'm not so sure it works here. The manicule is pointing at something, whereas the "We're #1" finger holds all the meaning. It's not indicating anything, as in pointing at it.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 pm

I think the entire point of "manicule" is it's diminutive sense: a small hand. The pointing hands at sporting events clearly don't fit the description. In fact, they beg for a name that means BIG hand in some dead language.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm

I also wonder if it is proper to speak of a "raised" index finger when the manicule is almost exclusively shown with the pointer finger aimed sideways. I would say the finger is "extended."
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 pm

(Sorry to flood.) Have you noticed that professional, human pointers always point with two fingers (index and middle together) nowadays? Flight attendants, when presenting their moronic safety briefings, are a good example. I think somebody has taken their mother's admonition ("it's not polite to point!") to a ridiculous extreme.

This doubled-digit practice may also deserve a new term.
Beck

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 am

I also wonder if it is proper to speak of a "raised" index finger when the manicule is almost exclusively shown with the pointer finger aimed sideways. I would say the finger is "extended."
Some medieval manuscripts show manicules pointing up. However, I agree that the majority of contemporary manicules point to the side--perhaps because the majority of people walk sideways.
Have you noticed that professional, human pointers always point with two fingers (index and middle together) nowadays?
Apparently, some cultures consider the one-finger pointing gesture to be rude. Flight attendants are trained to use two fingers, as are Disney personnel.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Traffic police in our city use both fingers. Perhaps the
single finger looks too 'accusing' or something of that
nature.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Two-finger pointing must be the "new etiquette." Airline personnel, Disney employees, traffic policemen, and others I'm sure we don't know about use the gesture.

Thus, there should be a name for it.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Di-digital? (and here add a word for pointing.)
{but it would probably turn into didi-}?

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Then perhaps "bi-digital." A hyphenated spelling would preserve the long i in "bi."
Ars longa, vita brevis

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

I think we should be looking for a verb form, no? I'll offer "bi-digitation," but it's so general as to be almost meaningless. Maybe "diploacromation" or "diploindication" would work, if it weren't for those double vowels.

How about "diplindication?" I like it. It has a silly sound that befits the stupid thing it describes. "Look, Abdul! The female infidel wearing the suggestive clothing is diplindicating during her moronic presentation. Inshallah, this is the last time we'll have to sit though it."
Beck

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

How about "diplindication?" I like it. It has a silly sound that befits the stupid thing it describes.
I also like "double-digiting." It sound less inflated, but 'diplindication' would make a better word of the day.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”