append

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

append

Postby KatyBr » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:24 am

ap·pend (-pnd)
tr.v. ap·pend·ed, ap·pend·ing, ap·pends
1. To add as a supplement or appendix: appended a list of errors to the report.
2. To fix to; attach: append a charm to the bracelet.

[Latin appendere, to hang upon : ad-, ad- + pendere, to hang; see (s)pen- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Verb 1. append - add to the very end; "He appended a glossary to his novel where he used an invented language"
add on, affix, supplement
attach - cause to be attached
annex - attach to
2. append - fix to; attach; "append a charm to the necklace"
hang on, tack on, tag on, tack
attach - cause to be attached
subjoin - add to the end
3. append - state or say further; "`It doesn't matter,' he supplied"
add, supply
say, state, tell - express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
slip in, stick in, sneak in, insert - insert casually; "She slipped in a reference to her own work"
toss in - add casually to a conversation; "I don't agree with this," she tossed in

Examples from classic literature: More
If a stranger were introduced into any miscellaneous metropolitan society, it would but slightly advance the general opinion of his merits, were he presented to the company as a harpooneer, say; and if in emulation of the naval officers he should append the initials S.
Moby Dick I-LXVII by Melville, Herman View in context
To re- move the liability of such misapprehension, I deem it proper to append the following brief explanation.
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass An American Slave by Douglass, Frederick View in context
To make this part of my story clear, I append the following plan of the first floor of Styles.
The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Christie, Agatha View in context
I just appended this word.. so I could say I suggested more than Larry did today

Katy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm

An excellent word, worthy of a full treatment here in the Agora.

dictionary.com has this to say:
verb (used with object)
1. to add as a supplement, accessory, or appendix; subjoin: to append a note to a letter.
2. to attach or suspend as a pendant.
3. to sign a document with; affix: to append one's signature to a will.

As a modern, and tongue-in-cheek, usage, how's about we go for: "Phil Anders found himself a great appendage in his new trophy wife." It might serve as a nicer way of saying "eye-candy," too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”