Basilect

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Basilect

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:50 pm

Given our devotion to languages, and therewith to words that describe languages, this term should prove of interest to all true Agorists. Besides, as we see from the AHD definition that I take the liberty of citing below, here we get two such words for the price (?) of one....
bas·i·lectListen: [ băs'ə-lěkt' ]
n.

The variety of speech that is most remote from the prestige variety, especially in an area where a creole is spoken. For example, in Jamaica, Jamaican Creole is the basilect whereas Standard Jamaican English is the acrolect or prestige language.

[ basi- + (dia)lect.]
Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Not only has the word been done twice now, but somehow no one ever responded to the original suggestion. I'll do so now.

Anyone out there from countries with other languages who'd like to comment on the local basilects/acrolects?

Take Russia, for example. Moscow speech is considered the standard, though St. Petersburg is more aristocratic. Anything from the other regions is not highly thought of.

Old joke: two young men are on the subway when two young women get aboard. The gentlemen offer the ladies their seats. The girls say, "You must be from St. Petersburg, as you gave up your seats." "Aye," respond the boys, "and you must be from Moscow." "How'd you know?" "You didn't say 'Thank you.'"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:42 pm

I do remember this story, so, as you say, the word
is somewhere else on the site.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”