punctuated

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

punctuated

Postby KatyBr » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:44 pm

Stanford sat huddled in her seat, watching the trees, cows and fields fly by as her dad drove the car to her grandmother's apartment. Stanford didn't like to go see her grandma's because she was forced to smile and pretend she enjoyed sitting in the dark, smelly apartment talking a a wrinkled old woman she didn't really know. she was also expected to wash dishes, vacuum and dust. Stanford groaned inwardly as she thought of all the work. Her mind wandered as she slunk deeper into her seat. The sky was all she could see and she thought og how lovely the sky was punctuated as it was with pretty puffy clouds.
punc·tu·ate (pngkch-t)
v. punc·tu·at·ed, punc·tu·at·ing, punc·tu·ates
v.tr.
1. To provide (a text) with punctuation marks.
2. To interrupt periodically: "lectures punctuated by questions and discussions" Gilbert Highet. "[There is] a great emptiness in America's West punctuated by Air Force bases" Alfred Kazin.
3. To stress or emphasize.
v.intr.
To use punctuation.

[Medieval Latin pncture, pnctut-, from Latin pnctum, point, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.]

punctu·ative adj.
punctu·ator n. www.thefreedictionary.com
I was thinking today of words that have more than one meaning, one that's used most often and one perfectly good usage rarely heard, as in definition #2.

Kt

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Great word, but let me tell you, I think that if I were a girl named Stanford, I'd be ticked off at the world, too. The parents may have wanted a boy, don't 'cha think?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”