throe

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

throe

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:12 pm

A useful word, particularly in the plural. But the usage that inspired me to suggest it as GWotD was the following statement by Jonathan Todd, spokesman for EU Commissioner Neelie Kroes, as reported in a Reuters article on complaints lodged (again !) against Microsoft :
"We are currently in the throes of analysing these informal complaints and the decision as to whether or not we will open up new case against Microsoft will only be taken once we have completed our scrutiny, our examination of the information we have received," he later told a news conference.
«In the throes of analysis» ! Now that does sound drastic, indeed ! Judging from his name, Mr Todd is a Brit ; whatever happened to the stiff upper lip ?!!...

Henri
throe Listen: [ thrō ]
n.

1. A severe pang or spasm of pain, as in childbirth. See Synonyms at pain.

2. throes A condition of agonizing struggle or trouble: a country in the throes of economic collapse.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Truth be told, I don't think I'd ever given any thought to throes having a singular.

Here's the Doc's treatment: Throe.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”