Humble

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Humble

Postby damoge » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Perry, thanks for that. I never learned any Greek and didn't know of the use of such indicators.
I don't know about anyone else who uses "an historical..." but I would never think to say "an history...".
Funny. Never thought about that before.
Everything works out, one way or another

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am

The word “humble” has accreted a wonderful new portmanteau: That word is “humblebrag,” which can be either a noun or a verb. As a verb it means to make an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement with the actual intention of drawing attention to something of which one is proud. My millennial son recently accused me of humblebragging (he was absolutely correct in that instance), which alerted me to the currency of this word.

I have seen “humblebrag” in print several times now, chiefly to disparage the comments of a political candidate. I do not mean to single out Dr. Ben Carson, who is by no means the only humblebragging offender in the current election cycle, but his name popped up at the top of a Google search. Here is an analysis of his penchant for humblebragging: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/boo ... nt-of-god/

I think that we should applaud the addition of “humblebrag” to our political vocabulary. “Humblebrag” deserves an honored place right next to that other disingenuous bit of political rhetoric: “apophasis.”
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am

"Humblebragging servant of God." That pretty much
covers a huge gamut.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm

What a stunning article, George! I like humblebrag and judging by the article there can be no better person than Ben Carson to wear the moniker. I have met some pretty self-confident and self-assured people in my time but nothing can compete with this man (assuming the article is fair). In fact he is such a stand-out, he should probably stand for President. Oh, of course, he did!

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:37 am

Cor blimey governor, I thought the ferret topped fathead must surely be the ultimate narcissist. Sounds like Dr Carson has run him very close, if not overtaken him. I guess it's a big country, but their two heads are at significant risk of pushing the rest of you out of it.

Re: Apophasis, is there any appreciable difference between that and paralepsis?

http://www.creativityworks.net/do-you-k ... it-matter/
Iain

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Problem is, Iain, that no one can hear Dr. Carson. We can't help but hear Der Drumpf. :x

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:13 pm

In answer to Lain’s question, I am not sure of the difference in meaning between “apophasis” and “paralepsis.” But it’s safe to say that my phrase “I do not mean to single out Dr. Ben Carson...” is clearly an example of the former.

But no one surpassed Suetonius’s skill in apophasis. He triples down on the rhetorical device in these lines from Julius Caesar, II. XLIX:

<<There was no stain on his reputation for chastity except his intimacy with King Nicomedes, but that was a deep and lasting reproach, which laid him open to insults from every quarter. I say nothing of the notorious lines of Licinius Calvus:

Whate'er Bithynia had, and Caesar's paramour.

I pass over, too, the invectives of Dolabella and the elder Curio, in which Dolabella calls him "the queen's rival, the inner partner of the royal couch," and Curio, "the brothel of Nicomedes and the stew of Bithynia.'' I take no account of the edicts of Bibulus, in which he posted his colleague as "the queen of Bithyllia," saying that " of yore he was enamoured of a king, but now of a king's estate.">>
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Finally got to the article about Ben Carson. I was feeling a bit queasy, decided to sit a bit and read it.
Couldn't finish it. Afraid "a bit queasy" would become full "blown" disaster.
Why do we need "humblebrag" when we have the perfectly good "false modesty" hanging around being unambiguous and useful?

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:18 am

I think one reason humblebrag is worthy is because you can say 'That was a fine humblebrag!' whereas you have to dance a little more with 'That was a fine case of false modesty!'. A humblebrag is an instance of false modesty I guess, but it conveys something slightly different to me at least. Also, I think the word has a nice sound to it.
Iain

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:00 am

For several reasons, I agree that there is a valuable place in the vocabulary for the word "humblebrag" which is not served by "false modesty": (1) For starters, "humblebrag" just sounds fun to say, and its meaning is immediately clear. (2) A clever and insightful oxymoron is worth repeating. (3) Unlike "false modesty" it can be efficiently deployed as a verb or a noun. (4) The word puts the emphasis on the bragging rather than the falseness (which is implied), and often that is where the emphasis is intended, especially since "brag" is loaded with pejorative impact, whereas "false modesty" is more muted and circumspect in its reproach.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:02 pm

thanks George and Iain. I accept your suggestions for the use of humblebrag as good and true reasons.

I guess you don't hear the supercilious tone with which "false modesty" is delivered (in my head at least). No doubt you're nicer than I.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:25 am

.... No doubt you're nicer than I.
Now we can both feel lucky you don't know me in real life!
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 pm

misterdoe: Your comment, "Uriah Heep? Was he friends with Jethro Tull and Lynyrd Skynyrd?" went over my head. I didn't know what the joke was. Then I discovered you were talking about some entertainers of the less than classical bent. I had never heard of any of them. Is there a reason why I should investigate further?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Philip: Not really. :) I knew the rock band Uriah Heep took their name from fiction, so when I saw the name I took my chance at a joke.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 am

To bring us full circle from rock groups back to the good word of the day, I would be remiss not to mention the British rock band "Humble Pie," which was floruit at the same time as "Jethro Tull." Both groups are prodigies of the excellent and creative music that British bands produced in the late 1960s/early 70s. Though Humble Pie is largely forgotten today, most folks would recognize its lead singer, Peter Frampton.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”