Adduce

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Adduce

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 pm

• adduce •

Pronunciation: ê-dyus Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To cite or produce as evidence, as to adduce witnesses or adduce facts in support of an argument.

Notes: We have not decided how to spell that passive adjective from today's good noun. We are free to spell it adduceable or adducible. Both have about the same frequency in current use. The noun from this word, like reduce : reduction, is adduction, as 'the adduction of additional evidence'.

In Play: When we bring in evidence to support our arguments, we are adducing: "Crystal Ball ended her arguments by adducing citations from the scriptures that supported her position." Witnesses are adduced, too: "Mollie Spanser-Downe was at pain to adduce a single person to support her claim married men acquire intelligence from their wives."

Word History: Today's Good Word is borrowed ultimately from Latin adducere "lead to, bring to", based on ad "(up) to" + ducere "to lead". The Latin word ducere produced Italian Il Duce "The Leader", referring to the leader of the Italian Fascist Party, Benito Mussolini. It was equivalent to Adolf Hitler's title, Der Führer. The Latin verb was a legitimate child of Proto-Indo-European deuk- "to lead". All of the English words on -duce or -duct, such as deduce, produce, conduct, deduct, are borrowings from Latin words based on ducere. The PIE original provided English, a Germanic language, with the noun duke and its relatives: duchess, duchy and ducal. Another English word derived from the same source is tug, a cousin of German ziehen "to pull" and Zug "train, draught". (I could adduce a long list of Good Words to prove George Kovac a major contributor, but suffice it to extend him another warm word of thanks for today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Adduce

Postby call_copse » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:57 am

Coincidence? Perhaps...
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Who is it? Il Duce?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:09 pm

oh, yes, indeed, il Duce himself, and DT as in "don't give me no DTs..."
I figure maybe those voting for him have to have a drink (or two) before doing so, just as so many of us have to hold our noses to do so.
Everything works out, one way or another

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Grazie !
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:37 am

A timely Toles cartoon.

Sorry for the blatant political stance there, but not really.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 am

this is no time to apologize. This is the time to get out and convince people to VOTE!!!!

The only thing that good people need to do to ensure that Drumpf wins, is nothing...

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Iain:

Years ago I attended an Italian opera in Chicago, which was sung in a cheeky English translation. In one scene, a character is accused of being a thief or scoundrel or some such pejorative. The accused man sings in response that the accusation sounded just terrible, and was offensive. So the first singer repeats the accusation, but this time in the original Italian. The accused man responds "Oh, that sounds much better. It always sounds nicer in Italian."

With that in mind, here is my suggestion on naming Mussolini and Mr. Trump:

“Il Duce”

and “Il Duce Due” or, more simply, “Il Duce II”

There, that is much better.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I would prefer, on the other hand, reverting to Mr. Trump's original family name. It has a certain ring to it. Less melodious than Il Duce Due, to be sure, but more in line with what I hear in my head when I see and hear him.

Donald Drumpf

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Damoge- your mantra: everything works out one way or another. Does that hold true of this election?
pl

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm

absolutely! and then we can breathe a sigh of relief (not likely from where I sit) or figure out how to live with the mess, or where to run to, to hide...

Return to “Good Word Discussion”