Booze

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Booze

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:32 pm

• booze •

Pronunciation: buz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Verb

Meaning: (Slang) Liquor or other alcoholic drink.

Notes: Today's rather sober word has not staggered far from its original form and meaning. It works well as a verb without any suffix, as in "to booze too much". The adjective is boozy, which means "tipsy, remindful of liquor", while boozily is its adverb. The action noun is simply the regular gerund, boozing. Around World War II, a drinking binge was called a boozeroo in New Zealand.

In Play: A good deal of beverage is consumed on New Year's Eve by some, though not by all: "The Whipplesnatches are not the sort who like to booze it up on New Year's Eve." The enjoyment of excellent wines and liquors is often associated with ships these days: "Jose and Margarita Cuervo like to take a booze cruise around the Caribbean over the Christmas holidays." Remember that this word is strictly slang.

Word History: Today's Good Word seems to have turned up in all Germanic languages, but any more distant origin remains obscure. Old High German bausen "bulge, billow" (bauschen today) and Dutch buizen "to drink excessively" seem to be cousins, with the English meaning following the tip from Dutch. The semantic crossover may have been via the bulgy Old Dutch buise "drinking vessel". In the past this word has been spelled bouse and, more recently boose, but the spelling we provide above is the current one. (We are happy that Colin Burt constrained any boozing he might have had in mind until after he suggested this Good New Year's Word to us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Booze

Postby call_copse » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:16 am

Not quite sure if I would define boozy as drunkenly exactly. You might have a boozy wedding which would imply a lot of alcohol was consumed, but a wedding could not be described as drunkenly. Anyway, sorry to nitpick on a decent word.

Also a high alcohol dessert or other dish such as a traditional English Trifle might be described as boozy.

Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqm24MTdBs to see a fantastically characterful, boozy rendition of The Old Dun Cow (in which booze is, um, pivotal) by The Futureheads. Acapella, proper Northern accents and everything - I could be persuaded to go on a boozy night out with lads like that.
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:36 am

I clicked through and enjoyed the Futureheads. Thanks for sharing!
pl

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:57 pm

An acquaintance in California (who's been out of touch for a bit) had a habit of using British spellings and expressions: ending words in -our where Americans usually use -or, spellings like programme, and so on. For years he ended emails to a Yahoo group we're both in with "Cheers," leading me to close my responses with "Cheers and booze." :wink:

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 pm

You're right, call_copse. I missed the examples you bring up. I think I should have repaired it to your liking.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 am

Cheers Doc!

Sorry to expose my expertise in a less than saintly area. We do like a drink here in the UK!
Iain

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Iain, how much time do you spend on Youtube???
Everything works out, one way or another

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 am

@damoge, actually very little, I'm not on from week to week, I just look things up that I know from real life as it were. It's just a convenient and accessible resource. Good for looking up the best goals of the week in the footer, that kind of thing.
Iain

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:58 pm

well, your dabbling is fruitful in ways I find most enlightening and enjoyable. Thanks so much.

P.S. any one else NOT being notified about posted replies?
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I guess I've been a bit groggy of late to have missed commenting on this one. I can, however, state that I was not three sheets to the wind, not having lifted a schooner in quite some time.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”