Opprobrium

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Opprobrium

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:30 pm

opprobrium \uh-PRO-bree-uhm\, noun:
1. Disgrace; infamy; reproach mingled with contempt.
2. A cause or object of reproach or disgrace.

"Typically academic," they disdainfully observed about many university press books--"too dry, too specialized, too self-absorbed for us." In their world, the word "academic" was as much a term of opprobrium as the word "middlebrow" was in mine.
--Janice A. Radway, A Feeling for Books

Five months after Malaysia incurred global opprobrium by closing off its currency and capital markets, its officials are in no mood to apologize.
--Mark Landler, "Malaysia Says Its Much-Criticized Financial Strategy Has Worked," New York Times, February 14, 1999

Opprobrium derives from Latin opprobrare, "to reproach," from ob, "in the way of" + probrum, "reproach." The adjective form is opprobrious.
Opróbrio (Pt.) is such a hard word to say that Portuguese also countenances opróbio. In the rare instances when I use that word (never!), I do try to insert that other r.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Treated here: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1025

Not much commentary, though. Maybe someone out there wishes to rail at someone or some company worthy of opprobrium?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”