Afflatus

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Afflatus

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:24 pm

• afflatus •

Pronunciation: ê-flay-tês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Creative inspiration from a divine or supernatural power, a powerful muse.

Notes: Today's Good Word is encountered more frequently than its synonym from the same root, afflation. The latter comes from the verb afflate "to blow upon; to inspire". This verb provides a rather odd adjective, afflatitious "by divine inspiration". Dictionaries avoid postulating a plural of today's noun, which is used both as a regular and mass noun. You may use afflati if you prefer, though afflatuses will always do in a pinch.

In Play: Afflatuses tend to be divine but the only true test is whether they are supernatural: "Somewhere between Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood, Capote's divine afflatus seems to have been replaced by a satanic one." They are also closely associated with the arts: "Gwendolyn's afflatus certainly was at her service in writing her latest novel, for it is absolutely divine."

Word History: Today's remarkable word is Latin afflatus unmolested, the past participle of afflare "to blow on" from ad "to, on" + flare "to blow". The Proto-Indo-European root underlying flare is bhlo- "to blow". The [bh] became [f] at the beginning of a Latin word, though, so this root became flare, which means "to blow"—from either end, apparently, since it also underlies flatulent. The [ b] remained in Germanic languages so this root turns up in English blow and bladder, two words related due to the Celtic people's penchant for blowing into bladders called bagpipes to make music. May your afflatus blow some inspiration your way today.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Afflatus

Postby George Kovac » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:37 am

Perhaps one vowel does not make much of a difference, as the expression "not one iota" suggests. But if that vowel is alpha, well, that results in the difference between afflatus and flatus.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Afflatus

Postby misterdoe » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm

I had to chuckle at today's Good Word, because what immediately came to mind was flatus. I see George thought like I did. :lol:

Wow, it's been a long time. I'll try to get back to posting more often, maybe daily.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”